The Talon House

For those interested in The Kandric Saga

Rate this topic

pietro

Kyle Aarons has posted chapter 25 at both GA (secretly) and the Wolfsnest. :)

It is more of a 'filler' than anything else, expanding on Kandric's antecedents, dragon history and lore (including a neat 'circle event'), exposes the relative geographic positions of the main characters and tidies up a few loose threads.

Unfortunately Kandric doesn't actually get back into Bloody Rock, and we don't see any more of the mysterious elf (whose response to the magical emanations created by Kandric's felling of the two dragons indicates ............ I won't spoil it if you haven't worked it out) taken under the King's wing and there is little real 'action'.

Still, with a lot of 'dead wood' out of the way chapter 26 should be much more exciting. Hopefully it won't be too many months in coming.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
It is more of a 'filler' than anything else

I think perhaps I was a little harsh in my dismissal there, as usual the multiple plot layers and brief allusions to other plot lines require several readings to really appreciate all the information in there.

For such a complex story there are few plot errors, and those are mostly minor. The only plot line which appears to have a glaring error and has bugged me for several chapters concerns Gambra. The story suggests that she is a well known mage in Junsac, not suspected of any dark affiliation, but is known and sought after as a totally evil dark mage in Black Rapids. While there is obviously no friendship, at least historically, between Vondum and the Watch I would have thought that knowledge of such a powerful and evil creature would have been common as the two cities obviously have regular contact.

There are, I suppose, various ways around this, that she was not known as 'Gambra' in Junsac and no one twigged she was that person or that the name was known in Black Rapids but nothing else. However, in my reading of the story, neither of these or any other possibility I have thought of would satisfactorily explain this apparent error. Aside from that, with a little judicious editing I have always believed that this is an eminently publishable story. http://thetalon.ipbhost.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

• 11 months later...

UPDATE:

Kyle has updated the first 25 chapters and will be sending chapter 26 to Myr some time next week for posting at Gay Authors.

I hope that he plans on continuing to post chapters to "Kandric" and "Re-emergence" at Wolfsnest. I'm not likely to be reading them at GA.

UPDATE:

Kyle has updated the first 25 chapters and will be sending chapter 26 to Myr some time next week for posting at Gay Authors.

Oh excellent news :D I had been keeping my fingers crossed for a New Year present as that seems to be Kyle's style with this story, checking every day since Christmas, and was just about to pass my hopes on to Summer.

Updates for the other chapters is also excellent. This story has been in the writing for over ten years, after all, I am sure a lot of additional ideas have come to Kyle in that time. I am even more pleased that he has gone for updating rather than abandoning the story as so many other writers do when a story evolves beyond what they have already written, and not just internet writers either!

Perhaps you will be kind enough, T, to let us know when the chapters are up as the GA update pages are currently useless.

I have said it before, but I think both Jamie.wri and Kyle's stories are truly excellent, both eminently publishable (although Kyle's work probably wouldn't pass today's moral censorship as it stands, as he notes himself)

Kyle has been a long time Hosted Author at Gay Authors and is one of the reasons Myr got interested in hosting stories. It is mainly because of the adult/youth scenes that the story doesn't appear publicly. Now with GA Stories, that may be changing. It will be posted with a strong warning.

I've told people that if they can get past the adult/youth sections, they are in for a good story.

When I know it's posted, I certainly post a link to it.

Kyle has been a long time Hosted Author at Gay Authors and is one of the reasons Myr got interested in hosting stories. It is mainly because of the adult/youth scenes that the story doesn't appear publicly. Now with GA Stories, that may be changing. It will be posted with a strong warning.

I've told people that if they can get past the adult/youth sections, they are in for a good story.

When I know it's posted, I certainly post a link to it.

In fairness the adult/youth aspects are, for the most part, allusion or implicit rather than explicit, and where such things are explicit it is usually, if not exclusively, necessary to the narrative, in other words, it is not gratuitous.

That said, this is a very dark, ruthless and violent world with little regard for modern sensibilities, no punches pulled and very much in the cast of the common conception of the dark ages. Kyle's characters, as with all excellent writers, are very 'real', some are both truly heroic and consummately evil at the same time, as well as some truly noble and others purely evil, there are no cardboard cut-out characters or clichés, not even among the peripheral people.

I only warn people as some don't mind it, while others may not like it. Most will still read it.

Quite right.

Literature has a great advantage over other aspects of art; you can ignore or just skim bits you find offensive if the bulk of the story catches your interest. Such is definitely the case with The Kandric Saga.

Going to be interesting to read it all again, it has been a long while since I first began to read Kandric, all those years ago, when Kyle first posted chapter 1.

If memory serves, (and often it doesn't LOL) that was back on the old Ghoul Drool, which was named after the tavern in the story. At the time Myr, Kyle, Ragtopman who did the art work for it, and any number of others who have disappeared over the years were members. Of course it could have been at Doc Raven's Ravens Nest or Boytales. I do recall that it was before Gay Authors came into being, but that's another story.

As I said... memory doesn't always serve and as I get older history has tendency to become ancient and memory dims a little more.

Kyle is one of those authors that I rank up there with Jamie, Sequoyah Pendor, and Comicality as favorite online authors, but Kandric is the only story that I have stayed with even with only one chapter a year. Perhaps it should be that Seqouyah and Comicality rank up there with Kyle and Jamie.

Kyle is one of those authors that I rank up there with Jamie, Sequoyah Pendor, and Comicality as favorite online authors, but Kandric is the only story that I have stayed with even with only one chapter a year. Perhaps it should be that Seqouyah and Comicality rank up there with Kyle and Jamie.

I second that :)

I have begun re-reading and I am sorry to report that there seems to be very little 'updating' as far as the story goes. As far as I can see the only update in the first few chapters is the first line of the first chapter. There may be some editing but as to additional content or corrections to suspected errors, nothing I can see. :(

Edited by pietro

I second that :)I have begun re-reading and I am sorry to report that there seems to be very little 'updating' as far as the story goes. As far as I can see the only update in the first few chapters is the first line of the first chapter. There may be some editing but as to additional content or corrections to suspected errors, nothing I can see. :(

I am up to chapter 17 and I agree with your observations. There are still a number of wrong word usage and grammatical errors. Also a large number of typographic errors. I understand that nothing is perfect and some errors will slip through any process, but here, there appears to be more than there should be.

If Kyle did the editing himself, I believe that it comes down to a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. He really needed an editor other than himself and at least one beta reader. That is if he truly was going to do an update.

Kyle is a very creative writer and Kandric is a good epic story, but could be a great story with proper editing to correct the errors. IMHO, an author (no matter how good and creative they are at story telling) should never be their own editor. They are too close to their creation and would more likely than not fail to see, what to someone else, would be obvious errors.

FWIW, that is my opinion. I'll not stop reading and following the story, even with the errors and only one chapter a year.

Some authors do their own editing and do okay with it. Then there's others who are so bad, I've quit reading the story.

I don't know if Kyle uses an editor for Kandric, I suspect he does from dimly remembered comments here and there, but not all editors are necessarily competent :P

Certainly if you get into reading a story it is difficult to edit it, almost as difficult as editing your own work.

I must confess that I have kept a copy of this, and other works, stuff on the internet can disappear without trace and without warning, after all. With a quality work like Kandric I do in fact edit what I have retained, mainly for grammatical, spelling and typographic errors but also correcting obvious errors and some of the more tortuous paragraphs that leave me with a 'what!!!!' and require re-reading to make sense of on occasion. I also hate the red on black colour scheme as I did the white on brown it had at one time, although maybe that was something else. Black on white is my preference.

I hasten to add that I am not criticising Kyle or his assumed editor in any way, should he read this, errors of a similar nature are not unknown even in published books.

Like the others here, I will follow this story to the end, whatever the quality of the edit and however long it takes.

I too, keep a copy of the stories that I like and re-read from time to time. Gives me something to do when I go to visit family and friends and everyone is at work.

You should see my file folder for Jamie alone. I have one flash drive dedicated to him alone.

There are some notable, and improving, updates from chapter 18 on, so far. I wonder if there were updates in earlier chapters but those chapters were not actually re-uploaded, or the unedited chapters were uploaded again by mistake?

Maybe we'll see something in the future or someone at Wolfsnest will say something.

I may have found out the problem, there are TWO sets of files in the Kandric section at Wolfsnest. For example:

http://www.wolfsnest.n40c.net/kyle arrons/Kandric saga/14.htm

and,

http://www.wolfsnest.n40c.net/kyle arrons/Kandric_saga/14.htm

It is the last form, with the underscore between kandric and saga (Kandric_saga) that is the new version.

Some of the links in the index page link to the new edit, some to the original page and some nowhere.

Perhaps if someone here can contact whoever at Wolfsnest they can point this out, as far as I can see there is no contact link on the site.

Edited by pietro

Just saw a post over on the "The Fort" by Kyle

View Post Kyle, on 19 January 2011 - 05:29 PM, said:

For those who follow The Kandric Saga:Chapter 26 was sent off for posting about 10 minutes ago.As a side note I hope to have a couple more chapters of Defender posted fairly soon.

Take care

TomasG

Edited by TomasG

Chapter 26 is up at GA.

It is certainly a cracker with a lot of the disparate threads being pulled together.

I've given it a quick read and will give it a more thorough examination tomorrow. There is an awful lot of content there.

The worrying thing is it could all be sewn up in 2 or 3 more chapters the speed it is going, lets hope I'm wrong, or if I'm right, there's another book to come!

Chapter 26 is up at GA.

It is certainly a cracker with a lot of the disparate threads being pulled together.

I've given it a quick read and will give it a more thorough examination tomorrow. There is an awful lot of content there.

The worrying thing is it could all be sewn up in 2 or 3 more chapters the speed it is going, lets hope I'm wrong, or if I'm right, there's another book to come!

Well, I've read it three times now, very wide ranging and complex and leaves a handful of cliffhangers AAAAHHHHHH!

I have a few quibbles, some dragon deaths don't seem (note the word 'seem') to have the correct effects, the one killed by Falk and Lannet in Everone and the one killed by the pantherling forces guarding the Slome swamps apparently had no discernable effects.

If the mysterious elf taken in hand by the King is a Kandric sibling he must have been Kaylaria's first son, not Aster. Aster is 45 years old but the mystery elf is 51. I suppose it could be explained but there are no hints in the story to suggest anything. I suppose the age could be wrong and he was Aster's twin.

I am still not happy with the Gambra situation, in Junsac she was apparently a respected mage but is everywhere else known as an evil Dark Mage. OK, she could have used another name in Junsac, but how many halfling legendary or master female mages are there likely to be in the area? OK it could be she wasn't local and therefore wasn't known in Junsac, not having done anything obviously evil there, but it doesn't seem quite right.

Still, those niggles aside, it continues to be a compelling story. Hopefully there will be some more before too long.

• 9 months later...

Well, it is getting near the end of the year and I wonder if we will have a Christmas or New Year present from Kyle this time around. I hope so. Kyle is an excellent writer (slow, but definitely accomplished) and all his stories leave you wanting more. I think he once said 'Re-emergence' was his favourite story but it would be last on my list, which would be (with points out of ten):

The Kandric Saga .............................. 9.75

O'Connell's Grenadiers ........................ 9.70

Brile ......................................... 9.65

Defenders ..................................... 9.50

Re-emergence .................................. 9.40

I would point out that Brile and O'Connell's Grenadiers are really one story, at least they are in the same universe and time frame and appear to be merging.

I have been reading George R R Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire and it reminded me very much of the Kandric Saga in character types, the same medieval levels of honour and depravity in some characters that makes you love and hate them at the same time.

Well, it is getting near the end of the year and I wonder if we will have a Christmas or New Year present from Kyle this time around. I hope so. Kyle is an excellent writer (slow, but definitely accomplished) and all his stories leave you wanting more. I think he once said 'Re-emergence' was his favourite story but it would be last on my list, which would be (with points out of ten):

The Kandric Saga .............................. 9.75

O'Connell's Grenadiers ........................ 9.70

Brile ......................................... 9.65

Defenders ..................................... 9.50

Re-emergence .................................. 9.40

I would point out that Brile and O'Connell's Grenadiers are really one story, at least they are in the same universe and time frame and appear to be merging.

I have been reading George R R Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire and it reminded me very much of the Kandric Saga in character types, the same medieval levels of honour and depravity in some characters that makes you love and hate them at the same time.

I sincerely hope we are getting close to our yearly chapter of Kandric.

I too, have been reading, have read "Fire and Ice". As interesting as the first four books were, I found the fifth book "A Dance With Dragons" rather boring and unexciting. Actually, about 1/4 way through it, I put it down and have had no desire to pick it up again.

Oh well! Plenty of other reading to keep me occupied while waiting for Kyle and Jamie.