The Talon House

The Scrolls of Icaria

TalonRider

• 1 month later...

You can expect to see chapter 43 posting the weekend of January 22nd. It's now in beta and would be pushing it to have it ready any sooner.

We get several questions answered that we've talked about in the past. I highly recommend having some tissues handy, you're going to need them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I see. Well that explains the timing shift and the re-siting of the force field. A bit contrived, I thought, especially the relocation of the force field, but there we are. Logically the force field should have either turned off completely or simply reset, still covering Taldor Valen. Less logically it could have reset to the original calibration covering Angel's Mount, least logically it would have conveniently enveloped the important bits of Altinestra. Still, the solution remains within the realms of reasonable probability, just.

Not that it matters that much, the fact it occurred is the only thing of importance to the story, the how is unimportant.

Still, it means that the remnants of the Empire can be assumed to be alive and well on Argon so I wonder why we haven't seen them reappear. Access to the interdicted area is presumably blocked, even by gates or else Jamie and co. would already be in the City of Light, but we know they had shuttle craft and we know that various gates outside of the barrier are active and available, so why haven't they appeared? Perhaps Gold will shed some light on that.

This interlude answers the immediate question of why they were in stasis for 2500 years instead of the planned 100 years.

Perhaps when Jamie programed the machine, he programed it to cover other sections to keep Loka and his ilk out. We may not know the answer until Book 3. Remember, Jamie gives us information that sometimes appears in a future chapter.

Before we can find that out tho, we still need to get thru Part 3, The Circle of Ondra, as we still have Loran to deal with.

I'm guessing that Book 3 will then begin to deal with Hippolito and Gude.

Something not really talked about that I think will have bearing on the rest of the story is that the empire has not died away. They have merely isolated themselves. And the gates were shut down. Now, if Jamie can reactivate them, he can enfold the empire into the scheme of things. Reopen communications and share technologies. After all, the plague is long gone. And their technologies have grown 2,500 years and even back then, in the beginning, they had satellite communications and were able to monitor limited things even from their home worlds.. What if they start picking up emanations from the once dead Argon? A power emanation the size of the forcefield could easily be picked up by other worlds when it is shut down. What if they showed up in force to try and reclaim the world?

And what if, at that time, it was being run by a race of boy angels?

In 2,500 years, their cultures may have also changed dramatically. Perhaps they became a conquering world. Who knows what affects that could yet create within the story.

Let me just say this. We know they were the beginning of the story. A major part of it. I can't imagine they were just there for foundation.

They still live. And Jamie can activate and control the gates.

We shall see. Jamie is notorious for using a seemingly insignificant point and weaving it into a major factor in the story. Look at the amulet!

Any thoughts on this matter?

A good point, TalonRider, it might well have been a part of Jamie's reprogramming to re-site the barrier as a further insurance for when things returned to normal.

Indeed, Ricky, the Empire is still there, as I mentioned above, presumably having come out of stasis on Argon at the same time as the others. The Commonwealth, however, I think that is what you were referring to Ricky, not the Empire which was Altinestran, is also still there and may itself have developed in less than ideal directions, who knows?

Another possibility is the remnants of the Empire may have already returned to some remote location where they had arranged for the Throne armies to meet them in order to re-assert control of the planet. Perhaps Hippolito is actually off to join up with his mentor Loka, or make sure he is not going to be around any more. That would make for an interesting future.

So many possibilities it is really not worth speculating. I don't suppose we are likely to get any answers this year, given current performance.

Edited by pietro

Yes, we could speculate about many things.

If Loka is alive, it will be interesting to see how the meeting goes when Hippolito catches up with him. Hippolito has the Army and the Legion of Red and Black.

Yes, we could speculate about many things.

If Loka is alive, it will be interesting to see how the meeting goes when Hippolito catches up with him. Hippolito has the Army and the Legion of Red and Black.

But Loka can be expected to have ghosters and battlehovs and all the other Empire goodies, although probably not too many trained military. Well, no doubt we will see, assuming we live long enough -_-

I know when it's good, it's hard to wait. But remember that this has been a ten year project. You can not rush greatness. Quality creates it's own demand.

I'm glad he takes the time to maintain the level of quality he has. Consistently throughout the entire story. This is not an easy write and it is extremely complex especially at this juncture of the story. Lines have to be drawn very carefully and deliberately.

Rushing is not an option. Busting his chops for not meeting your demands for speed would be offensive to most. Particularly in a story of this complexity. If it is too slow for you then perhaps a sabbatical from reading until it is completed is the best answer for you, if you are so bothered that you have forgotten your manners.

We have an old saying here, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Comments inferring that you are suffering from having to wait too long are flat ungrateful and ill mannered.

I for one am pleased that he has shared it with us at all and if I exit this world before it is finished I'll have something to look forward to in my next life. Especially with the great joy it has added for me and so many others in this one.

I know when it's good, it's hard to wait. But remember that this has been a ten year project. You can not rush greatness. Quality creates it's own demand.

I'm glad he takes the time to maintain the level of quality he has. Consistently throughout the entire story. This is not an easy write and it is extremely complex especially at this juncture of the story. Lines have to be drawn very carefully and deliberately.

Rushing is not an option. Busting his chops for not meeting your demands for speed would be offensive to most. Particularly in a story of this complexity. If it is too slow for you then perhaps a sabbatical from reading until it is completed is the best answer for you, if you are so bothered that you have forgotten your manners.

We have an old saying here, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Comments inferring that you are suffering from having to wait too long are flat ungrateful and ill mannered.

I for one am pleased that he has shared it with us at all and if I exit this world before it is finished I'll have something to look forward to in my next life. Especially with the great joy it has added for me and so many others in this one.

Hey TalonRider, can you add a large raspberry emoticon? You know, for those who can't recognise a wry comment not directed to the author but simply pointing to an unexplained 10 month hiatus. I would add that I probably would be dead before Jamie.wri finishes if this remains the case. And that would be a real disappointment.

:P

• 3 weeks later...

At this point in time, I've not heard anything from Jamie. Tho there is still time for him to send me Gold.

ANYTHING he sends you is gold. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Two years and three months since a main chapter was posted. Have the Scrolls died? :(

Did you not mention that you had a beta of ch.45 that answered a lot of questions, T? Would you consider letting us loyal fans having a peek? We wouldn't want you to feel that doing so would betray Jamie's trust in you, of course, but after two years of silence?

P

Two years and three months since a main chapter was posted. Have the Scrolls died? :(

Did you not mention that you had a beta of ch.45 that answered a lot of questions, T? Would you consider letting us loyal fans having a peek? We wouldn't want you to feel that doing so would betray Jamie's trust in you, of course, but after two years of silence?

P

Wow, it's been that long? *sigh* It was ten years in the making, he created three complete languages, Three societies, hmmm 4 if you include the other world communities. I can't see him giving up on it like that. Life must have stepped in. At least I HOPE that is all that has happened. Perhaps it's time to send out search parties. Try and get hold of AJ or something. wow, over two years.