The Talon House

Book 2

TalonRider

Much like we've done with Book 1, we've started Book 2. At Jamies request, I started with posted chapter 35 and gone thru chapter 42. The reason for these specific chapters is, it was with chapter 35 that Ricky and I started beta reading for Jamie. Those chapters will be a bit cleaner for Jamie to work with.

As we did with Book 1, if you know of anything inconsistencies, please bring the to our attention.

Any Edmond vs. Edward issues that made it into book 2 will be corrected.

I also found one that slipped past us in chapter 41, Damian vs. Damien.

• 1 month later...

I have a question about gate travel. We are told in no uncertain terms that two beings cannot be touching at the time they travel through the gates, yet Liudowag and Barcepa run through the gate holding hands.

Then, when Charlie is awakened, then sent away with the Ghroum, Spinoza is thrown at Charlie and travels the gate on Charlie's shoulder. At least this is the impression those two passages give. Isn't this a contradiction?

cheers,

dioscuri

• 3 months later...

Book 2 Chapter 18

In the following sentence:

Quite in contrast to the dearth of information available on the life of Jacques de Valèn, the only fact Jamie was able to glean in all his research on Agramos was that he’d been a general during the time of de Valèn.

The word dearth means a" lack of" or a "scarcity of". Use of the word "dearth" in the context of the sentence doesn't make sense. A better word would be "wealth".

"Quite in contrast to the wealth of information available on the life of Jacques de Valèn, the only fact Jamie was able to glean in all his research on Agramos was that he’d been a general during the time of de Valèn."

• 7 months later...

Just going through the story from the beginning again. In book 2 Part 2 When Giovani wants to go along to get Charlie. Jamie implies that he, Giovani, is the King to be. And it is further supported by him calling Jamie "my regent". That would make Charlie the true wizard. That would make Giovani, the king, Charlie the Wizard and Johnathan the oracle.

A child shall lead them. Or in this case, children shall lead them through the infancy of a society.

So what then of Nic and Jamie? Jamie must die as must Lorran for the orbs to be released. Well, only one must die if by the hand of the other. But there is still the matter of re-assimilation.

I too am rereading the story this month. I'm currently just starting part 4..

As far as Jamie and Nic are concerned, something important to remember is who is telling us the story. It is Jamie telling us his story of his triumphs and failures.

Perhaps, I'll have more once I get into Book 2.

Once again, in B2 P2 Croal, in the end of puberty cycle vision, says he must be strong to help Charlie when, "it is time". It also mentions the Tower of Agramon and what's in it. Both in the vision and later when Jamie is telling the history to Stephen Prekinziy and Damian. I am sure there was something there that I missed so I will have to go back to it before I convert Book 3 and start giving IT a listen.

There is certainly a lot more to pick up after the second or third complete read through. You spot more from the complexities discovered later. Nothing major but a lot of little things that confirm suspicions.

I have no doubt that Charlie will be the Wizard and Giovanni, the King in the end. The question is really, what happens to Jamie and Nic? :( I think if he killed them off there would be a charter to Belgium for the next butt kicking contest. Figuratively of course. ;)

Once again, I am amazed at the complexities of the story and how carefully . . . no, masterfully, that they have been woven into the fabric of this epic tale. It is rapidly becoming one of those stories that you almost don't mind the lag in posting, because every chapter now brings us that much closer to the end of a truly great adventure.

Thanks Jamie.

Just going through the story from the beginning again. In book 2 Part 2 When Giovani wants to go along to get Charlie. Jamie implies that he, Giovani, is the King to be. And it is further supported by him calling Jamie "my regent". That would make Charlie the true wizard. That would make Giovani, the king, Charlie the Wizard and Johnathan the oracle.

A child shall lead them. Or in this case, children shall lead them through the infancy of a society.

So what then of Nic and Jamie? Jamie must die as must Lorran for the orbs to be released. Well, only one must die if by the hand of the other. But there is still the matter of re-assimilation.

In Book 1, Part 4, chapter 49, Giovanni recalls Jamie, 'Regent'. He also tells him not call him that, it's something only they know about.

This is a difficult one to call. We know that Charlie is Croal's 'true' weapon and that Jamie is there firstly to distract any attention from Charlie and secondly to be Charlie's shield which I interpret as protector. One problem I have with the Charlie and Giovanni destined to be Wizard and King scenario is neither has been 'prepared' for that role. OK, we don't know what Charlie's powers are, except that they are different from Jamie's and that Charlie is much more powerful than Jamie in mental abilities. As I seem to recall there is a substantial difference between Jamie and Charlie in DNA terms, actual percentages mean little, a minute percentage difference can make a huge difference in ability. Giovanni apparently has had no training in anything. Both are young, I know, but both Niklas and Jamie were trained for their roles from the word go.

Of course, it may well be that Charlie is not destined for any role regarding Icaria or Altinestra, his role may be against the Commonwealth or whatever events are portended by the Monastery of Infinity and the Tower. As it stands there are hints and flashes but on where near enough facts to base assumptions on.

In a sense, yes. Jamie did tell Charlie it would be down to him if he something should happen to Jamie. And Jamie also made Niklas promise to fight disunion and protect Charlie in that event.

I suppose the difficulty here is that, as far as we know, Croal had no plans other than to put Jamie and Charlie, and presumably Niklas as I have posited before, in place so that they would be in position to 'throw a spanner' into the Empire's works at the right time, the 'seven sided dice'. I have no doubt he was also pulling other threads destabilising to the Empire. We know that the plan to save the Kalorians was Jamie's alone and that somehow it all ended up being down to him, the 'official' resistance being shattered, and that Jamie had only a vague idea of what the original plan had been, if it was even still feasible or even a plan at all by that time. To me this suggests there were never any plans for even Jamie and Niklas to be Wizard and King, let alone Charlie and Giovanni, although Jamie being the only known potential wizard other than Loran at the time obviously meant attempts would be made for Jamie to be elevated.

The point is, Jamie, Charlie and, I believe, Niklas were Croal's throw of the dice, thrown long before Alexander was out of the picture and although Croal was convinced Loran was inadequate for being a Wizard I don't think he in any way planned for Jamie to take over the 'official' wizard role. As I see it his plan was to recreate a de Valen - Agramos pairing, a Merlin and Arthur if you like, give them as big an advantage as possible through genetics, education and training and leave it to fate. Whether they became King and Wizard was immaterial to Croal's plans. As I posted earlier, Charlie was created to be a different and more powerful entity than Jamie, the one to really strike the death blow to the Empire, note that Charlie apparently has not developed the more physical wizardly powers like fire balls or a Tattoo, and certainly neither he nor Giovanni have had the same de Valen - Agramos type education and training. Put simply, in Croal's mind there was never a plan to make Jamie/Niklas or Charlie/Giovanni Wizard and King.

I wonder how much, if any, of Jamie.wri's inspiration derives from the Arthurian prophecy, the Once and Future King? If you have never read T H White's The Once and Future King I would recommend you do.

Edited by pietro

It was the result of Alexanders death that elevated Jamie to the Wizard candidacy, thus by default, Nic to King as his mate. And according to Hippolito, Loran was to have been neutralized.

Yes, I agree. But those were the Empire's plans and they intended Hippolito as King, they weren't the resistance plans, they didn't even know about Niklas as far as we know, and they were shattered before Alexander died anyway, it wasn't the Kalorian League's plan either and it certainly wasn't Croal's plans.

So in the present circumstances there are no plans, Jamie and Niklas have fallen into the role of Wizard and King by accident rather than design. Their damaged memories and the information available made them think they must be the Wizard and King because of who Jamie is, and the reaction of most of the other Icarians returned from stasis simply reinforced that belief, plus their innate monarchical sense of duty and responsibility for others pushed them to accept that role.

So, going back to Ricky's point, there is no reason that Jamie and Niklas cannot be Wizard and King, nor is there any reason why Charlie and Giovanni should be Wizard and King in their place. Everything hinges on Jamie and his decisions while he still lives, it is doubtful any pre-stasis plans have any relevance now and as far as we know, Jamie was not a knowing participant in any of them anyway. We do not even know if Jamie was aware of any particular role Croal may have intended for Charlie, again if any and yet again if any such role was still still valid or necessary.

Anyway, that's enough 'any's for now. :D

I don't entirely agree with the comment that the resistance did not have any idea about Nickolas for a few reasons.

Castor made the comment, "I learned a lot living with your Dad." Referring to his ability to covertly dispose of the Jewelry and to get the money to the resistance. And the fact that Charles was part of the resistance. I think that this was because Croal made him a mate. And Croal was Charles' father as well. Since he was the first Icarian and Croal created the first Icarian, that made Jamie and Charlie and Lorran his brothers. Yes he had to sign the orders for Croal's death, and Croal knew it would someday come, knowing it was coming he wanted to protect the brothers. So Charles protected his brothers. (Even though he did not know about Charlie.) this is an angle we haven't really discussed before. But we know Charles lost his mate. It would stand to reason that Croal made the second icarian as well as the first. He would have to to verify his research.

Another fly in the ointment is Cody. We know that the mental powers come from the Ghrum dna. That means that Croal had to have a hand in it. Even if it was just slight. Gold glass never did anything with the Ghrum dna, only Croal did. So is cody a croal creation? Even though his powers were slight in the beginning? Being exposed to Jamie, his powers have significantly grown.

Giovanni's entrance into the picture I think was as carefully crafted as Nickolas's I think. It was extremely odd for an Icarian to be in Expedition and service and usually when that occurred, it was in a noble's home. Another co-incidence? I don't think so. He fit in to well.

So there is to much of croal's "start and experiment and let it run it's course" to think that the resistance was clueless or that these numerous co-incidence were anything but manipulations to the experiment.

The real wild card here is the tower of infinity. And the prophecy told in the runes. What is it that they will need to do that both Charlie and Jamie and "even Lorran" might have to "help with"? Is it a terraform device? One that would eradicate all like when it activated?

This can still go a lot of different directions.

Castors ability to manipulate his ownership to get to the Ecole shows how connected he was even then.

Add that to the belief that " What DeVallen and Agamon put together can never be torn apart" it would be silly to think that a pairing of the two was by accident. And one more thing, The publishing of the "intent to mate"

And one more thought. Having the Ghrum dna in their systems means that they may live forever, unlike the thrones. That fact presented by Jamie when he realized that Master Saki "knew" Nickolas Agramond personally. He didn't start working with Grum DNA until he left Gold Glass so Jamie and Charlie both have the Ghrum DNA. I wonder who the woman that had Jamies' eyes

Edited by Ricky

Hhhmmm, a few misconceptions there I think, Ricky.

I think there are enough clues in the text so far to suggest that Ghroum DNA is the source of the wings, intelligence, long life, psi potential and overall physical capacity of all Icarians. It is pretty clear Croal created ALL the Icarians, at least he created the entire stock of stem cells that could be grown into Icarians, other scientists were able to manipulate those cells to 'tweak' certain characteristics and thus produce different individuals, but no one was privy to the method used to create the stem cells. We know that Croal kept that secret while appearing to work openly and allowed the assumption that the fundamental genetic enhancements came from birds while it was of course from the Ghroum.

I agree that the pairing of Niklas and Jamie was not accidental, Croal obviously intended they would form a formidable team and the 'intention to mate' was designed to help that come to pass, where I disagree is that he intended them to be Wizard and King, as I said, I would think from Croal's position that would be irrelevant.

Castor's facility did indeed derive from his work for Croal as did his station among the Kalorian League, which was also part of his duties for Croal.

I am fairly confident that Jamie, Niklas, Charlie, Giovanni and Jonathan were all crafted by Croal, separately from the stem cells he made that were in use at Gold Glass. Cody, like Charles, was, I think, part of the run of the mill Icarians from Gold Glass that just happened to have exhibited a bit of psi power. I am not sure but I think there are hints of unexpected psi powers to be seen among other Icarians, even Hippolito's ability to attract is quite possibly psi based.

I also agree that Croal's plans included a lot more than just rolling the dice. From my perspective he was obviously intent on ensuring that his special creations, Jamie, Niklas, Charlie, Giovanni and Jonathan would both survive and be suitably placed and be properly prepared to have the opportunity to do their job which was the destruction of the Empire. I think he was quite happy to use the Empire's ambitions, the various resistances and the Kalorian League and their plans to progress his own plotting and that while he may have seemed to be a partner to several groups he was in reality entirely his own man with his own ultimate plan. That is why I say he couldn't have cared less about who was or wasn't Wizard and King, the mechanics of how Jamie, Niklas and Charlie eventually fulfilled their roles didn't matter, as long as they were successful. Croal and Jonas's philosophy from the very beginning was that you cannot dictate outcomes, events progress as they will, whatever those in charge intend when they start the ball rolling; plans composed of careful, choreographed and intricate steps are doomed to failure, chaos rules. Croal would not make a plan dependent on Niklas and Jamie or Charlie and Giovanni being King and Wizard.

If that were true, then there would be no cause for the tattoo or the affinity for the orbs. That had to be intentional and as I see it, could serve no other purpose. So Croal had to have intended for Jamie and Nic to be King and Wizard. There is no other explanation for it. In fact, it was an on going process because Jamie and Charlie were both injected with the viruses and Charlie's body produces the virus. Again, further proof that his intent was plainly to insert them into the rolls of King and Wizard. Again, no other cause is possible that I can see. I am curious though to see if Charlie gets a tattoo when he ends his puberty cycle like Jamie did. That would indicate that he will be the recipient when the orbs are released from both Jamie and Lorran.

And I still think that Charles was in league with Croal. I wonder if his mate was male or female. And why was he able to continue after his disunion? I think it would be unusual for him to be the Unki if he were deemed unstable. And I'm certain that he tipped off Croal that they were coming, it was his time. B2P2 Silver shows he was indeed with the resistance. When he had the State assigned assistant put to death for finding out about the diverted funds. (Pretty sure it was silver. Could have been B2 P2 41.)

We shall see. You didn't comment on the tower of Infinities possible function being transforming.

Edited by Ricky

Okay. Time for some "what if's."

We know that Jamie knows about the Tower of Agramon. He's also shared that information with Charlie. It's quite possible that Croal knew about and provided Jamie with the means to figure it out.

What if Alexander hadn't been killed in the Battlecom 'accident'? It could be that it would have taken all three, Loran, Jamie, and Charlie to take care of what ever is going to happen with the tower.

Everything is just taking us to that point.

Well in the vision at the end of Jamies Puberty cycle, Croal tells him to go to the Monastery and read the runes. Jamies says, "He knew!"

And that may be a possible scenario, but again, there would be no need for the tattoo OR the orbs. Jamie has the power anyways. The ONLY reason would be if he was to replace Lorran. And I would think that it [the orbs] wouldn't call to Jamie if he was just backup.

And I would venture to say that if Jamie has all the viruses, then the Germanis won't affect him.

It was well known that Lorran was not doing too well at gold glass. He had not be exposed to the outside world so although his knowledge of the orbs is extensive, his knowledge of human or Icarian Nature to circumstances that were occurring in normal life were a complete mystery.

As for it needing Alexander as well? Perhaps. We know he is not out of the picture yet, He told Jamie to bring Lorran to him. He wouldn't do that if he was not going to be there to receive him.

As I recall the Tower and the Monastery represent something coming that is actually worse than the Empire, exactly what, I have no clue. It may well be that rather than the Empire this potential event was the focus of all Croal's plans surrounding Jamie and Charlie. We mustn't forget that these structures pre-date Altinestrans.

We obviously aren't going to agree on whether or not Niklas and Jamie or Giovanni and Charlie becoming King and Wizard was an integral part of Croal's plan, my view remains that it wasn't. I don't say he didn't hope Jamie and Niklas would take those roles, only that it wasn't necessary from his point of view. Remember, the whole Icarian hierarchy was an invention of the Empire, Savaron Loka to be precise, perhaps useful from Croal's point of view to help manipulate circumstances to favour his plans, but not a part of his plan. Again you have to look at Croal's character, as utterly ruthless as Savaron Loka, paranoid to the extent he barely trusts himself, a certainty that chaos rules and complex plans will always fail, a belief that everything must be backed up with ready made alternatives to switch to, alternatives that have no connection with others, no one other than himself knowing the full picture on anything but always working in apparently plain sight and so on. Look at the way he has trained Jamie, exposing him to knowledge without explaining, making him do exercises without explaining, pretending he doesn't know what Jamie is doing while monitoring his every moment, encouraging him to make his own connections, develop his own understanding and knowledge and most revealing of all, not interfering even when Jamie is doing something that could easily bring everything Croal has spent his life working for down and kill them all. Then there is Niklas' training, also done, I believe, in accordance with the Croal plan, or maybe the Croal/Jonas plan, but with nothing to link him to it. If I recall correctly there is a passage where Croal is talking with one of his co-conspirators, discussing Jamie's progress. At the end there is a comment about the 'other one' and his progress. I had assumed at the time this referred to Charlie, now I think it referred to Niklas. There was a similar episode where the other one was Loran but this one was different, unless I'm just getting confused, of course which would not in itself be surprising given the complexity, hanging threads and mystery in the story :lol:

Charles was indeed a part of the resistance and I believe he was the architect behind Niklas' training, but I also think he, like Croal, was working to a slightly different agenda, apparently working together with Croal to a common end, but both actually looking at a different ending. As I have previously said, all the indications are there were several resistances, some joining together to progress their joint interests, some working alone or specifically focused on a single thing, like the Farzetti, I believe, some with fingers in several pies, like Croal.

As for Charlie, should he not have completed his puberty cycle? I thought he was only two years younger than Jamie in actual age and I am more than sure it has been longer than two years.

The issue of Jamie's tattoo and its partial disappearance and reappearances together with his apparent susceptibility to the Germinus is very frustrating. I can't see any way that could have occurred, unless it was something to do with the mysterious virus Charles was behind. Still, I didn't expect the 100 year planned stasis to be changed to 2000 years + by a cometary close encounter so I suppose anything goes. Presumably that is Jamie.wri emphasising his 'best laid plans of mice and men ....' and all that, chaos rules.

The comet was something that wasn't accounted for so it threw the proverbial wrench into the works. The satellite did the best it could to repair the damage given there was no human help in doing so.

I'm guessing the key to the orbs recognizing an Imperial High Seraphim is DNA. If I remember correctly, Loran has a touch of de Valen DNA. Charlie is two years younger than Jamie. I'm thinking that Charlie was put into stasis after his cycle began so he's not completed it yet. If he had, the Orb of the Unicorn may have been reacting to his presence and there was no mention that it was.

The screen and the tattoo didn't appear until after Jamie completed his puberty cycle and reached adulthood.

Jamie didn't complete his puberty cycle until the end of things. It was after the exhibition to the Gjadar. That was a short time before the uprising. If Charlie was two years younger then he still has a ways to go given that he was in stasis.

I believe that Ranaud had to place the orb of the unicorn in the stasis chamber. Remember that it was he and Jamie that placed them in it and it would make sense that Enrich kept the orb of the Unicorn in defense as it delivered the charm of pain. He would have seen that as his ability to control the Wizard. And protecting Jamie from his ability to defend himself would in fact be fulfilling Renaud's prime directive, to protect Jamie.

Jamies tattoo never disappeared. It appeared as a black smudge perceived at the time in the dance Ecole as some make-up that would not wash away easily. The it appeared after his fever and vision. It was after he entered the code to activate the screen that it actually appeared. But the story does jump around in time which might be why you thought it came and went. (Time tortures me. I'm dyslexic.

As of this point B2P2 CH 41, Charlie and Giovanni neither one have completed their puberty cycle. Remember that they mated early because they were afraid the future was limited and uncertain. I don't get the need for their separation in stasis. It seems they both would be needed in tandem so safeguarding one from the other to keep one alive should the other fail in stasis seemed odd. Perhaps it was because Charlie had to teach the ceremony of assimilation to Giovanni. And at the time Charlie was the only one who knew it. Not knowing that Charles, who wrote it would be around. And if the only two who knew it weren't alive, the wizard / king plan would be doomed knowing that the orbs were scattered. And we really still don't know how that occurred.

I think that the tower is a terraforming device and that the shield generator will be what protects them all. But it may need the energy of all involved to bolster it to withstand such an event. We don't even know if it is still operating.

I doubt that Lorran has any Ghrum DNA because he didn't start trying to use it [The Ghrum DNA] until he left Gold Glass and that was well after Lorran was decanted. I think that is why he is the only one who really needs the orbs. Charlie may not need the tattoo because his body produces the viruses. And there was speculation that Jamie might need a booster. I don't think that the entire race of non throne Icarians was derived from Ghrum DNA. Their wings are quite different than the feathered Icarian. In fact I think they were described more like the traditional bat or Dragon type than feathered. Although When Luke touched Jamie's wings they were said to not feel like they looked. they appeared soft but felt leathery.

Cody may have been one of those experiments with the Ghrum DNA from Gold Glass that was just kept around to see if anything developed. And without the training that Jamie gave him, it was destined for failure. Remember that they said the scientist at Gold Glass tried a few experiments with the Ghrum DNA before deciding that it would have to wait and was put aside because the Plague was becoming a more urgent problem. Only what Croal ferreted away to his private villa was available.

Croal did not create all Icarians. Just the cells they stocked and then manipulated as they saw fit. And the DeVallen DNA was only available to Croal. That was in one of the interludes where they wer gathering the tooth. They mentioned that the agramon crypt was next door but that was another's job.

But who is to say that in the circle of andra or at gold glass there is not an unknown orb or that a second complete set doesn't exist. I mean, it's a virus right? How tough would it be to make more than one? There might be enough to give every Icarian a set. At the time, it was only 800 and that's if none died. Their Cap was set at 1500 but only around 800 were decanted and viable at the time of the uprising.

I DID see that at the ball at Enrich's Birthday, that Mathew and Lance made an appearance at the party. I had missed that before. I have to go back once again and look at that part a little better because I fail to see the relevance. So I think I may be missing something.

That's all I got. I'd like to know if anyone else gleaned anything from the appearance of Mathew and Lancelot at the Emperor's ball.

I think you are mistaken re Jamie's tattoo, the story clearly says the pictograms were present when it developed while Jamie was at the Ecole but only the rings were present when Jamie came out of stasis, the related pictogram appearing as he absorbed an orb. Of course, this may have been a mistake in the writing, Talon Rider has already warned us there were several 'continuity errors' that had crept in as the story was (slowly) written that have been addressed in the Book 1 revision that has seemingly vanished.

I am also pretty sure all the clues point to Ghroum DNA rather than avian DNA being the 'magic' ingredient in the Icarian make up, I don't see where you get the idea it was a later development.

When I say Croal created every Icarian I don't mean that literally. It is pretty clear, I think, no one else knows how to create the stem cells that can be developed into Icarians, yes, others can do the manipulations to produce certain characteristics but only Croal created the root stock, if you like.

You could be right about the Orb of the Unicorn although we have not been given any clues as to how Renaud and Jamie got hold of it. I suppose if one looked up the House responsible for it one might make a guess, but had they even been distributed at that time? The whole thing about the distribution of the Orbs at the point of collapse has not been covered.

As far as I recall there are absolutely no clues as to the origin, significance or purpose of the Tower and the Monastery so any guess is valid.

Jamie didn't complete his puberty cycle until the end of things.

Jamie did complete his puberty cycle. It occurred on his birthday. The screen was set to enter it final stage at that point. Jamie was also having headaches prior to that. It was the night of his first command performance for the Emperor, upon showering when he returned to the dorms, that he noticed the black smudge that he thought was makeup.

It was the Ghourm DNA that gave the their wings, not the the bird DNA everyone believed.

Though it was brief, I think the small part with Matthew and Lancelot was meant to give us a location to identify them from. The Princes and Scribes were also present at the Ball.

Remember, Jamie set things in place to help him remember things. Damian died for the bracelet. Renaud knew where Charlie was and probably had orders to remind Jamie if certain things hadn't occurred. It's possible, the same thing was set up with Giovanni. Fortunately, it was the Golden Orb that finally let Jamie remember where the Orb of the Unicorn is located, also leading him to Charlie.

The Orb of the Unicorn is under the Protection of the Imperial House of the Metaphysical Arts (also known as The House of the Oracle). His Imperial Highness Prince Jonathan of Tower Mount rules the Oracles House and his scribe is Lord Langford, Duke of Angel's Fall.

The seat of the Prince wasn't filled until the meeting held after the rescue of Jonathon.

The Orb of the Unicorn is under the Protection of the Imperial House of the Metaphysical Arts (also known as The House of the Oracle). His Imperial Highness Prince Jonathan of Tower Mount rules the Oracles House and his scribe is Lord Langford, Duke of Angel's Fall.

The seat of the Prince wasn't filled until the meeting held after the rescue of Jonathan.

That makes the acquisition and placing of the Orb of the Unicorn even more puzzling. It also suggests that Jamie knew far more than we were led to believe he did, although we have never been made privy to much of what Jamie knew anyway. Why would Jamie have bothered to secrete an Orb anyway, especially at a time it would almost certainly be missed by the powers that were, since the Empire and the Icarians were due to depart in the near future, and thus arouse the Empire's suspicion?

Perhaps the next chapter will shed some light, but I won't hold my breath.

We may not know how Jamie came to be in possession of the orb, tho I suspect Renaud was instrumental in getting it. Jamie was the one to place it in the cryo unit with Charlie.