The Talon House

Just wondering

pietro

The last I heard from Jamie, chapter 44 was with AJ.He didn't say which edit it was in. Depending upon things go, and the size of the chapter, a chapter can go thru edits before it reaches the beta stage.

For the beta stage, Jamie sends it to me, I then send a copy to Ricky who reads it, then sends it back to me with his suggestions. I then combine his with mine. After this is done, I run it thru a program that reads the chapter to me. Once I'm done with it, I send it back to Jamie and he decides what suggested corrections to accept, then sends it on to be posted.

As soon as I know something more, I'll let you know.

I was about to ask if there was any word on an ETA for 44, but I won't now. :) I will say that I'm starting to have major withdrawal symptoms.

Now let's see... where was I...oh yeah, Book One, Part 1, Chapter 1, "It was the cold that woke me."...

ani_rofl.gif

Take care

TomasG

• 3 weeks later...

Any word yet???

Boy am I 'Jonesing'...

Or is it to much sugar in my tea... No... [six (6) teaspoons is normal]...

so it must be withdrawal symptoms...

One Thousand and one little Icarians... One Thousand and two little Icarians... One Thousand and three little Icarians....

Still nothing new to report. I've not seen him online for a few days now. I'm guessing that not seeing him probably means, given his profession, he's probably busy gearing up for finals.

• 4 weeks later...

The silence is getting louder, let us hope all is well in Icaria and hope this is not another year long hiatus, or worse!!!

I've been reading the Jim Butcher books lately. The Dresden Files is quite good, a little disappointing to start but the writing tightened up well as the series progressed and the Dresden character seems to have developed quite well. I thought Codex Alera was better overall, one to re-read in a year or so.

All is well with Jamie. Given his profession, teaching at a local Uni, this time of year is quite busy for him in gearing up for finals and any papers due in.

He has told me that Chapter 44 is going thru the editing process, and that is at least three times to AJ and back before I get my hands on it for the beta phase.

UPDATE: Chapter 44 is now with AJ for the third and final edit. Then it comes to me and Ricky. Roughly estimating, it could be posted the first weekend in June. Only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with an addiction, is the cravings only get worse as the time passes without a fix. :)

Our fix is coming. Chapter 44 is now in beta so if all goes well, you can get your fix the weekend of June 11th.

That had me LMAO, tho I was expecting the Hallelujah Chorus. Though I expect you could use that for when the chapter finally does post.

This is also the final chapter of Part III, The Baron of Rood. Then we have the Interlude.

• 4 months later...

THE END IS NEAR.

I'm beginning to think your comment was more prophetic than you intended.

A new school year has started so assuming Jamie is still lecturing things are looking more and more ominous.

Are we going to see a Kyle - Kandric pattern settle in I wonder; one chapter a year, two if we are really lucky and each one leaves us asking, will there ever be any more?

I wonder why it is that only about 0.001% of internet authors ever have the courtesy to advise readers there is or may be a delay, especially ones who generally have a regular posting schedule. I know we as readers tend not to show our constant appreciation, but the simple fact we read the stories shows we do indeed appreciate their efforts without having to resort to sycophantic messages. I would also point out that however politely I emailed authors to express my appreciation I hardly ever got a response, in fact I can only recall two which is the reason I no longer do it.

I hope I haven't just pushed the cat into the pigeon loft, such was not my intention :)

Edited by pietro

When I originally made that last post, I was referring to the end of the cliffhanger we've been waiting on.

The last I've heard from Jamie was back in late August/early September. All the rain from Irene and then Lee screwed up his time here so we didn't get together for our annual visit. I've even chatted with his editor, AJ, whose wondering as well. He's sent Gold, the second edit back and is still waiting for the third.

When I originally made that last post, I was referring to the end of the cliffhanger we've been waiting on.

The last I've heard from Jamie was back in late August/early September. All the rain from Irene and then Lee screwed up his time here so we didn't get together for our annual visit. I've even chatted with his editor, AJ, whose wondering as well. He's sent Gold, the second edit back and is still waiting for the third.

Uuummmm, I know. But if you look at the first post in this thread my last becomes clearer, or at least its antecedents do :D

There are many possible reasons for delay, I know. Personal circumstances, health issues, simply too busy, writer's block, huge inconsistency suddenly found (I am sure I once saw a statistic that showed an unbelievable number of writers, even well known authors, that started one story and found they had finished a different story at the end of the book), lost interest, has got a publisher interested and is protecting future digital rights. It's just that I really would like to know.

If you were going to suggest I ask Jamie directly, I did, very nicely, twice when he had the lonnnngggggg hiatus a couple of years ago. He was one of those that never replied unsure1

I know the last time we went thru a lengthy hiatus with Jamie, he was here in the states working on his degree, and teaching. That took up a lot of his time so he put the story on the back burner.

At home, he teaches at a University an hour away. He also does consulting work for some companies. Twice a year, he comes back to the States to teach, early in the year for two weeks in Las Vegas, and then again towards the end of the summer semester at Penn State for two to three weeks.

I do know from past emails, he has been working on chapters for Part 4 and he only sends them one at to his editor. As it was started, things to come up. Even AJ has things come up that caused slow downs, one of which was a computer problem.

Unfortunately, life can be cruel to us. An author I work with works second shift for company. Recently the company relocated to another building and he was involved in long hours getting ready to move and then the move. Now, the company is sending him back to school for another degree.

And don't feel alone about not hearing back from Jamie. It happens to all of us. When he's able to get back to us, I'll probably be one of the first ones he contacts as he knows I'll let this group know.

I've heard from Jamie. He's still working on Gold. He's also sent me chapter 45, the first chapter of Part 4.

I'm guessing that once gold completes the process, we'll start seeing some chapters again.

I've heard from Jamie. He's still working on Gold. He's also sent me chapter 45, the first chapter of Part 4.

I'm guessing that once gold completes the process, we'll start seeing some chapters again.

If Jamie is working on "Gold" and '45, what ever happened to "Silver"? Last that I saw was "Bronze".