The Talon House

Okla. Man Accidentally Shoots Self in Rear

movieguy

Okla. Man Accidentally Shoots Self in Rear

By Associated Press

August 6, 2004, 10:28 AM EDT

BRISTOW, Okla. -- Drew Patterson wanted to protect himself after hearing reports of an fugitive in this northeastern Oklahoma community. He didn't think he would be nursing a sore rear end.

Patterson's .22-caliber pistol, hooked into the waistband of his denim shorts with the hammer pulled back, apparently fired, hitting Patterson in the left buttock Wednesday afternoon.

Patterson, 27, said he suffered "one of my most embarrassing moments" when his gun fired.

"At first, I didn't feel anything at all," said Patterson, who talked readily about the incident Thursday at his parents' Bristow home.

"Then about 30 seconds later, I felt that burning, stinging," he said.

He felt something warm trickling down his left leg and found an exit wound.

Patterson said he walked into his parents' home and said, "Mom, I did something bad."

Law enforcement officers searching for escaped inmate Raymond Lee Smith, 26, who ran from a Bristow courtroom Wednesday, stopped their hunt when Patterson's gunshot wound was reported.

Smith fled a courtroom in handcuffs and an orange jump suit and was still at large Thursday. He was facing charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon on a police officer.

Residents in the Bristow area armed themselves last year when a suspected murderer, Scott Eizember, roamed the rural area as authorities searched for him for 37 days.

"I had good intentions, but I screwed the whole thing up," Patterson said.

Patterson said he was told to keep walking to avoid complications as the wound healed.

"It hurts fiercely now," he said while walking slowly and gingerly.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

newsday.com

Patterson said he was told to keep walking to avoid complications as the wound healed.

"It hurts fiercely now," he said while walking slowly and gingerly.

I should think so. devil-winks