The Talon House

Rudy's Too Gay-Friendly For Jerry

movieguy

Rudy's Too Gay-Friendly For Jerry

by The Associated Press

April 17, 2006 - 12:01 am ET

(Washington) The Rev. Jerry Falwell doesn't see any Democrat making inroads with evangelical Christian voters in the next presidential election. Potential Republican candidate Rudolph Giuliani, the former New York city mayor, won't be scoring any points with Falwell, either.

"Everybody admires him. And I'll never forget the great things he did on 9/11 and following," Falwell said.

"But, of course, we have, as conservative Christians who take the Bible seriously, we have probably irreconcilable differences on life and family and that kind of thing," Falwell said Sunday on "Late Edition" on CNN.

"I'll never speak an ill word about him because he means so much to America. But, yes, you're right. I couldn't support him for president," he said.

Giuliani supports abortion rights, gay rights and gun control.

Differences between another 2008 contender - Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. - and Falwell, the Baptist minister who founded the conservative Moral Majority, were bridged recently when Falwell asked to meet with McCain.

They discussed the bitter 2000 Republican nomination campaign, during which the senator labeled Falwell an "agent of intolerance" and Falwell sided with McCain's chief rival, George W. Bush.

"By five minutes in, we'd gotten all the old stuff behind us and the air all cleared," Falwell said. "And, you know, John McCain is a strong conservative. He's pro-life. He's strong national defense. He's a national hero. His view on family is just where most conservative Christians' views are. It's just that we had another champion back then."

Not that Falwell is endorsing McCain - yet.

"It's far too early to endorse anybody," he said. "There's a lot of other good guys out there."

©365Gay.com 2006

links

Archived