The Talon House

Big Brother star bashed

Big Brother star bashed

By LUCY CARNE

30apr06

Source: Melbourne's Herald Sun

THE Big Brother star who this week tearfully outed himself on TV was the victim of a violent gay bashing that left him bloodied and unconscious.

0,1658,5146657,00.jpg

Badly hurt: David Graham with two black eyes after the bashing.

As this picture reveals, farmer David Graham, 26, who is the early favourite to win the show, paid an almost fatal price for his lifestyle.

The former Melburnian, who now lives in Queensland, was brutally beaten by five men and left for dead in a pool of blood after leaving a popular Brisbane gay nightspot in the early hours of January 22.

He was making his way to his ute parked in a side street when he was set upon by a gang of men throwing rocks and bottles.

The attack is believed to be part of a wave of anti-gay violence.

In an interview several weeks before he entered the Big Brother house, David said he tried unsuccessfully to placate his attackers.

"But before I knew it there were guys behind me and they were just beating the back of my head," he said.

"All I can remember after that is the pain. They absolutely beat the s--- out of me.

"My mate said they just kicked me while I was on the ground until they thought I'd had enough or they were scared they had killed me."

The assault left him with severe bruising across his face and body.

"My whole face was a mess of blood," he said.

"I was taken to the hospital and was in and out of unconscious for two hours.

"If you've been bashed by five guys you would expect there to be some type of internal injuries or brain damage after the kicks I took to the head -- thank God there wasn't."

His sister Linda Graham, 32, of Brisbane, yesterday said the early morning telephone call informing her David had been found bashed in a dark street was "one of the most horrific moments of my life".

"To be called at 4am and told by your friends they've found your little brother unconscious and covered in blood . . . it's horrifying," she said.

But rather than harbour anger or bitterness towards his attackers, she said David had moved forward in life.

"He is incredibly positive and such an intelligent person," she said.

"After the bashing he said 'Hey, things happen, but you could die tomorrow, so why look at the negatives when you can celebrate the positives'."

Linda said David's initial reluctance to reveal his sexual orientation to the nation was his way of breaking down gay stereotypes and putting a realistic face to homosexuality.

Archived