The Talon House

Schwarzenegger Waffles On Anti-Gay Prop 22

movieguy

Schwarzenegger Waffles On Anti-Gay Prop 22

by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

October 12, 2006 - 5:00 pm ET

(San Francisco, California) California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger won't say if he would support overturning Proposition 22 a measure which defines marriage as a union between one man and one woman.

In a meeting with the editorial board of the San Francisco Chronicle the governor hesitated, then said "I will get back to you on that."

In a follow-up question he also refused to be pinned down on what he would do if voters did overturn the law. The editorial board asked if he would sign a gay marriage bill if the proposition were overturned.

"I have so many things to think about every day, I am not thinking at all about those hypotheticals," is all he would say.

Proposition 22 was overwhelmingly passed by voters in 2000. Since then LGBT activists have been pushing to have the law overturned.

Last year Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill passed by the legislature that would have allowed same-sex marriage. At the time he said his hands were tied because of the controversial proposition.

"Put it on the ballot - maybe they've changed their mind," Schwarzenegger said. "Because I think the polls are different today than they maybe were five years ago. It could easily be that they favor gay marriage in California."

A legal challenge to California's ban on gay marriage is expected to be taken up by the state Supreme Court sometime next year. One of the issues the court will have to determine is the constitutionality of Prop 22.

By refusing to answer the editorial board's questions on the issue of same-sex marriage, Schwarzenegger continues to walk a thin line as a "moderate" attempting not to anger either the far right of the Republican Party or moderate Democrats who he needs for re-election.

Polls so far show he is way out in front of his Democratic challenger Phil Angelides.

©365Gay.com 2006

links

Archived