The Talon House

The Scrolls of Icaria

TalonRider

Wow, it's been that long? *sigh* It was ten years in the making, he created three complete languages, Three societies, hmmm 4 if you include the other world communities. I can't see him giving up on it like that. Life must have stepped in. At least I HOPE that is all that has happened. Perhaps it's time to send out search parties. Try and get hold of AJ or something. wow, over two years.

Not quite ten years Ricky, I believe the first post was Oct 2004, so we are just now at the ninth aniversary. I seem to recall that there was an extended hiatus of about a year at one time, probably due to Jamie's final year as I think he was an undergrad when he started posting. T did mention a while ago that this present hiatus stemmed from real life difficulties. We can but hope.

I must agree with you that the story has immense depth and breadth and it would be a true tradgedy if it has indeed died.

P

You are correct that the saga started back in 2004. The first forum post to appear was on October 4, 2004 at Awesomedude's.

There was a hiatus while Jamie was working on his degree and teaching at Penn State a few years ago.

The last time I emailed him, I used a different account just in case my main email went into his spam box and he missed it. I got no reply. I also checked his profile at another site and found the last time he logged in there was back in May of this year.

As for Chapter 45, after checking, I see that Ricky and I had it on or around October 30, 2011. Almost 2 years now. I've been waiting that long to be able to discuss that chapter with others.

I know we the readers aren't the only one's frustrated.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you got any news from Jamie?

I have send him an email but got this anser back

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

jamieoficaria@hotmail.com

And before chapter 45 the interlude the 7th gold is also not posted.

Edited by AnjoBranco

Have you got any news from Jamie?

I have send him an email but got this anser back

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

jamieoficaria@hotmail.com

And before chapter 45 the interlude the 7th gold is also not posted.

It has been two years and three months since a main chapter was posted. Gold and Ch. 45 were reportedly in beta at the end of 2011 if my memory serves me correctly. However Jamie has apparently not been heard from or even contactable since. It is starting to look very much as if the Scrolls will not continue.

Very sad.

P

Jamies hotmail account was compromised and everyone one in his address book received some spam. I contacted him to let him know what he needed to do. He was unable to gain access to change his password so he abandoned it. I was able to acquire a new addy for him and only heard from him a couple of times.

• 2 weeks later...

TalonRider Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:55 PM "As for Chapter 45, after checking, I see that Ricky and I had it on or around October 30, 2011. Almost 2 years now. I've been waiting that long to be able to discuss that chapter with others."

So T, it's November now, 2 years+. Anything you would like to share with us? (nudge, nudge, hint, hint :D )

P

TalonRider Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:55 PM "As for Chapter 45, after checking, I see that Ricky and I had it on or around October 30, 2011. Almost 2 years now. I've been waiting that long to be able to discuss that chapter with others."

So T, it's November now, 2 years+. Anything you would like to share with us? (nudge, nudge, hint, hint :D )

P

If you think it's any less frustrating for us then think again. But honestly it's not ours to give out. We were only privy to it for technical efforts. But I assure you that we too are frustrated by the lack of contact.

If you think it's any less frustrating for us then think again. But honestly it's not ours to give out. We were only privy to it for technical efforts. But I assure you that we too are frustrated by the lack of contact.

I am sure you are no more or less frustrated than any of us who followed the Scrolls. You suggested a while back: "Perhaps it's time to send out search parties. Try and get hold of AJ or something." Have there been any attempts through AD as the site most likely to have some form of contact? I understand your position that it is not yours to give out, certainly a general posting would be very wrong, however I think there are only a few of us that are registered on the protected Scrolls 2 forum, perhaps a limited release to us wouldn't strain your conscience too much but it is entirely at your discretion, of course.

Trust me, I've thought about sending the chapter to a our little group here and start up a private conversation about it. To do so would violate a trust between the author and editor/beta reader. I've built up a reputation as being a good editor and I've worked with a number of authors over the years.

I could also be a jinx. A fair number of the authors I've worked with no long are posting anything and some of those occasionally.

The last email from Mike at AD indicates that as of Labor Day weekend of 2013, the story will be considered unfinished. There is no plans to remove it from Awesomedude.

This isn't commonly known, but I spent several months working with Jamie on getting Book 1 updated to then be posted at another site. The Scrolls would then have been posted at two different sites, AD and GA.

Trust me, I've thought about sending the chapter to a our little group here and start up a private conversation about it. To do so would violate a trust between the author and editor/beta reader. I've built up a reputation as being a good editor and I've worked with a number of authors over the years.

I could also be a jinx. A fair number of the authors I've worked with no long are posting anything and some of those occasionally.

The last email from Mike at AD indicates that as of Labor Day weekend of 2013, the story will be considered unfinished. There is no plans to remove it from Awesomedude.

This isn't commonly known, but I spent several months working with Jamie on getting Book 1 updated to then be posted at another site. The Scrolls would then have been posted at two different sites, AD and GA.

Well it is your decision as to how you feel about diseminating what you have T, or more properly how you think Jamie would feel, I suppose. Naturally I would love to know what is revealed in ch.45, as would any reader, but I would not ask or cajole you to do anything you are not comfortable with.

I wouldn't worry about being a jinx, few amateur writers have the luxury of writing consistently over a period of years, real life almost invariably intrudes, muses fail and so on. Being as most of those writers tend to be teenage or 20 something when they start it is not surprising. I have lately been reading a lot of HP fanfic and the majority of stories there are seemingly abandoned. Some, of course should never have been started, or the authors should never have put pen to paper as it were, but most are perfectly readable quality, and a few are truly magnificent works of fantasy writing, far surpassing JKR in every way. Not that difficult I suppose when it is obvious JKR had little in the way of an integrated/developed vision of a wizarding world when the first book was written. Then again as she said herself, it was more a writing down of an imagined off the cuff, episodic bedtime/fairy tale for her kids.

Ah, it now being November we can assume that as far as AD is concerned the Scrolls is now officially unfinished. Is this a sort of standard, 'we haven't heard from them for so long so mark it as dead' thing or was it intimated by Jamie? Sad any way.

P

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks. Been a lurker for years. This anniversary just weighed heavy on me. Perhaps because it's also the 4 year anniversary of my dads passing in 2 days.

Welcome SeededDreams. Can I just call you Seeded? It just sounds sexier.

Losing ones we are close to is always tough. It makes us better people though because we learn from it. We learn what is truly important and we treat others better I think. Life is about learning.

I too would love to see Jamie return and give us the rest of the story. I'm sure life has interrupted the flow. It happens. But this story is so marketable that I think it could solve many of his financil problems if that is what is keeping him away. Time will tell.

Be welcome. No need to lurk, you are among friends here.

Cheers,

John

aka Ricky the writer

I too would love to see Jamie return and give us the rest of the story. I'm sure life has interrupted the flow. It happens. But this story is so marketable that I think it could solve many of his financil problems if that is what is keeping him away. Time will tell.

As would we all, I am sure, and while 4 years is ominously long for a hiatus there have been longer within the world of on line fiction, so faint hope remains.

There are almost an infinite number of possible reasons for Jamie's disappearance and unless he returns we shall likely never know. Hopefully it is a positive reason from Jamie's perspective and not something else.

P

• 11 months later...