The Talon House

Book 2

TalonRider

We may not know how Jamie came to be in possession of the orb, tho I suspect Renaud was instrumental in getting it. Jamie was the one to place it in the cryo unit with Charlie.

How do we know this? I don't recall a reference to it. Renaud was obviously there because he and Jamie set up the ghoster booby-trap. But I don't recall any other specifics towards the orb, who had it, or how it was placed in the CSU.

Exactly the point. the only other clue is, if I recall correctly, it was Castor who collected together the items that were placed in stasis with Charlie, so we can assume he acquired it through his contacts in the Kalorian League. That then raises the question, why. Was it Jamie's instructions? Just a hunch? Or was it maybe an old instruction from Croal as a last ditch effort to stop Loran from becoming a complete wizard? We shall probably never know

Exactly the point. the only other clue is, if I recall correctly, it was Castor who collected together the items that were placed in stasis with Charlie, so we can assume he acquired it through his contacts in the Kalorian League. That then raises the question, why. Was it Jamie's instructions? Just a hunch? Or was it maybe an old instruction from Croal as a last ditch effort to stop Loran from becoming a complete wizard? We shall probably never know

OR Was it possibly within the worm set in the net for Jamie by Charles. Remember that the reassimilation ceramony was "written" by Charles! It very well could have been in the worm. I suspect that we will find that Charles is a much greater friend to Jamie than suspected or lead to believe. Again, his mate is a mystery but I think a greater player than let on. And I think that this is a pivatol event in the story. It's the WHY for everthing Charles did. Something tells me that Charles is the key to all of it. And "no" Pietro, I have nothing to back up the feeling. Just a gut instinct. It is interesting, and I may be wrong, that we hear noting of Charles once the campagin starts. Was he left with the rest in Karonas of did Jamie indeed kill him? I don't recall hearing anything past Charlie's resurection. Anyone want to correct me? It is something that just this moment crossed my mind and I could be completely wrong on this point.

Cheers. (I'll bet Jamie is LOVING all this discussion. I just hope a new chapter is enroute. Gold may have some answers.) I think it would be a first though. Traditionally, interludes only give supporting information on why or how things are what they are. However, the Silver DID answer the question of why 2,500 years instead of 150.

Turning around, I walked across the Hall of Heroes until I faced Charles, who stood and watched me without comment. The beautiful, white orb in his hands looked like a giant, glowing pearl, and its hum was soft and steady. I’d placed it with Charlie, hoping that the security measures I'd put in place to protect him would keep this last orb safe as well.

This is one of the mysteries that we may not be privy to between Castor and Jamie.. At this point we don't know where the orbs were. Were they stored at Gold Glass, with the Princes, or elsewhere?

Actually, it was Cody who wrote the ceremony for the absorption of the Orbs. We learn that fact when Jamie is meeting with Cody and Prince Ivan before everyone leaves.

There is simply too much unknown to speculate on what was and what is. No doubt there are some answers (at least there had better be angry1) in the next chapter. That should return us to the point where Jamie is resolving his confrontation with Charles.

I think you can claim more than a gut feeling, Ricky, regarding Charles. There are many clues that he was a pivotal character in the resistance and that he was following a plan when they were all brought out of stasis, allowing Jamie and Niklas to develop their own knowledge and conclusions. Don't forget that he was also 'testing' them to be sure they were capable of being a true Wizard and King, an expensive test as it allowed Loran to take control of the Throne army.

For me, Charles was just as pivotal a character as Croal, possibly even more so, don't forget it was Charles who supplied him with all the information of the Empire's excesses and repression as well as information about Niklas with the hidden data store Jamie found. We know that Charles was a primary mover, probably the primary mover behind the resistance, remember it was Charles who had the second key to the stasis chamber holding the Wizard's Own, something I am not sure even the Empire was aware of.

In one sense I agree that Charles will be shown to be a supporter of Jamie but I am not sure 'friend', at least before stasis, would be true. I have no doubt he was one of the most important members of the Croal/Jonas plan and resistance, I surmise it was his position and role to be the main facilitator for that plan within the Empire, I am sure he was the one to insert Niklas into the Ghadar, ensure his education and training by the Ghroum Sak'ki, etc. placing Giovanni at the Ecole and so on. I still think Croal had a different plan beyond his agreement with Jonas, or perhaps an extension of that plan he didn't mention to anyone :D. As I have said before, I think there was an original Croal/Jonas plan based on the Icarians subverting and destroying the Empire, I think they realised the Empire was going to be a tougher nut to crack than they thought and there was a secondary plan to produce a de Valen/Agramos pairing with the training, knowledge and conditioning to win the Icarians from the Empire and destroy it, then I think there was a Croal plan that involved Charlie, whether even Charles was aware of that I don't know.

Edited by pietro

• 6 months later...

I was thinking about Jamie's move to the Sr troupe after the dance of defiance.

Two Things that I thought were missing. (It's like trying to sense a spice flavor in something good that you've eaten. But just can't put your finger on it kind of thing.) But listening to it again made it jump out and say, "That's what it is."

The first thing is when they told him he was in the Sr troupe and the realization began to settle in, should have been, "No more Sprague and his wicked boot? He can't torture me anymore?" I mean he was the Bane of his existence. His goal was not to become a Sr Troupe member as much as it was to get away from Sprague. I honestly think that would have been his very first thought. It was certainly mine as I was sitting there seeing the world through Jamie's eyes. And I think that was the intended or desired emotion for Jamie at that time. Remember when he woke up the morning after and they let him sleep in? He was terrified that he was introuble.

The second thing that I thought was missing and should have driven home the point that he was reassigned as a premier performer is that when he went to get dressed that morning, he should have sported that well talked about new Bright Red Sash With Gold Trim. That should have been sported in the Empresario's Office as well as the bright Red Piping on the tunic.

Another place it should have shown up was Jamies Confrontation with Sprague. The Rescue of Giovani the second time. With him noticing that he [Jamie] now wore a sash of equality. It would have been obvious to Sprague because it showed that he either lacked judgement or was just bitter when people saw it. Especially amongst his peers who knew he kept this premier dancer of unequaled abilities in the lowest position in the Jr Troupe. It was an additional slap in the face and it very well could have been the first time he had seen him wearing it. It could even be part of the arguement. i.e. ( You think that sash with its gold braid can save you, well it can't, I know you for the walking feather rot that you are. . .) You know.

Those are just my thoughts. There was so much made of the different colors that I thought it should have played a little more after he got one of supreme rank. I hope those two things are redressed in the rewrite. I think it would add completeness to the transition.

Edited by Ricky