The Talon House

Germany claims egg record

movieguy

Germany claims egg record

A chicken farm in Germany is claiming a new world record after a hen laid a giant egg weighing six ounces.

The record egg, discovered by farmers on New Year's Day, is almost 3.5 inches long and has a circumference of eight inches.

Christoph Athmann, from the Ruholl poultry farm in Lower Saxony where the egg was laid, said he was amazed at the size of the egg.

Farm employees cannot determine which of the 35,000 hens laid the big egg because the eggs are collected each day by machine.

But Athmann said the egg was probably laid by a young hen, around 27 weeks old.

"That's when they achieve their top laying form," he said.

The farm is now challenging an egg from Belarus for a spot in the Guinness Book of Reocrds.

"An egg from Belarus weighing 160 grams that was laid in spring 2004 was lined up for an entry in the next Guinness Book of Records, but we're going to challenge this as ours is nine grams heavier," Altmann said.

www.ananova.com

Wow, I am still surprised about that story, also because I live even in the same state and still haven't read anything about this. It's probably because I haven't had much time to read the newspaper lately... And it's even reported in the US. :o

See, those things ARE possible even without (gen) manipulated food... :D