The Talon House

Man Accused of Being I-65 Flasher Caught

movieguy

Man Accused of Being I-65 Flasher Caught

By Associated Press

April 15, 2005, 6:04 PM EDT

EVERGREEN, Ala. -- A man who allegedly has been flashing motorists on Interstate 65 for months was caught in a police chase when a tire blew out on his getaway vehicle. He was wearing only tennis shoes.

Mark D. Estis, 45, was arrested after motorists reported seeing a naked man just before 10 a.m. Thursday on the interstate, about 9 miles southwest of Evergreen.

Alabama Bureau of Investigation Agent Doug Darby spotted a suspicious vehicle. Conecuh County Sheriff's Investigator Tyrone Boykin said he arrived to help Darby just as Estis, wearing only tennis shoes, emerged from woods and got into the vehicle.

Estis sped off, Boykin said, but was caught after one of his tires blew out.

Estis was charged with resisting arrest, attempting to elude, reckless endangerment and three counts of indecent exposure.

Officers said Estis is responsible for the incident reported Thursday and two others at the same location earlier this month. Investigators also believe he is the same man flashing motorists along I-65 in north Baldwin County for months.

"He told us he had been doing this about a year, and said he had problems and wanted help. He didn't say what made him start," Boykin said.

Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

www.newsday.com

Archived