The Talon House

Anne Heche 'Disgusted' By Mom's 'Ex-Gay' Message

movieguy

Anne Heche 'Disgusted' By Mom's 'Ex-Gay' Message

by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: September 21, 2005 5:00 pm ET

(New York City) Anne Heche has a message for her mother: "Stop calling me an ex-gay."

She is lashing out at her mother for being part of Focus on the Family's 'ex-gay' speaking tour. Nancy Heche frequently tells audiences that the power of prayer made her daughter dump Ellen DeGeneres and go straight.

"Ellen and I had a three and a half year relationship that ended sadly, not because we were both women, but because we both wanted different things for our lives," Heche says in a posting on her official website.

"This Nonsense about my mother praying for me is really making me angry. My mother never approved of my relationship with Ellen. Her hatred for our relationship is one of the many things that ultimately led to my breaking off all communication with her. (My mother, that is, not Ellen.)"

The actress also attacks the so-called 'ex-gay' movement.

"The "Ex-gay" events that are going on right now make me sick," she writes on her site.

"The fact that my mother is using my name to promote this movement makes me even sicker. I could not disagree more adamantly with what she and her group of unloving, unaccepting, Bible preaching hate mongers are doing. I do not believe that homosexuality is something that should be brainwashed out of someone. I do not believe that homosexuality should be anything but celebrated if that is the thing that makes an individual feel good about their life. I believe, as I have always said, that people should love who they want to love."

After her breakup with DeGeneres Heche married a man, but she repeats on her site that the split had nothing to do with lesbianism.

"And for anyone who ever thought that Ellen and I broke it off because of sexuality, you couldn't be more mistaken. And for anyone who thought my mother's prayers had anything to do with me marrying a man, forget it. I can safely say that my mother has nothing to do with any decision I make. It has always disturbed me the way religion can twist something to make people feel badly about themselves. Isn't a loving heart an accepting, caring heart? Certainly my mother has never been "loving." But that's just my humble opinion."

FOC's 'Love Won Out' conferences have been held across the country. Nancy Heche is regularly a featured speaker. The organization's website says Heche is "a single parent who experienced the international media rush during her daughter Anne Heche’s highly visible relationship with Ellen DeGeneres, and a widow who endured her husband’s diagnosis of and subsequent death from AIDS."

Nancy Heche frequently tells audiences that homosexuality can be cured with prayer and points to Anne as an example of this.

©365Gay.com 2005

links

Archived