The Talon House

George Michael Follows Elton To Altar

movieguy

George Michael Follows Elton To Altar

by Peter Moore, 365Gay.com London Bureau

Posted: November 29, 2005 9:00 pm ET

(London) With less than a week to go before civil unions become legal in the United Kingdom, singer George Michael has announced he will tie the knot with longtime partner Kenny Goss.

"We won't be doing the whole veil and gown thing," Michael said at a screening of a documentary about his career on Tuesday night in London.

Michael's relationship with Goss is covered in the documentary, George Michael: A Different Story, which follows the highs and lows his life and career.

The former Wham singer said he and Goss have not set a date. "It'll be relatively soon after it comes in, probably early next year," he said.

Same-sex domestic partnerships become legal in the UK December 5, but the first ceremonies won't take place until December 21. (story)

Although they offer most of the same rights and responsibilities of marriage the civil unions cannot be called marriages.

Michael said he and Goss, who have been a couple for nearly ten years, planned a "small, private ceremony."

"I'm not very romantic about it to be honest," he said. "I think Kenny probably would be if I let him, but it's just not me."

Nevertheless, Michael said that legalizing their relationship provides them with protections if something should happen.

"We want to do it, just in case," Michael said. "You never know, I could get hit by a bus and the poor man could have nothing."

Michael is the second big British star to announce he is entering into a civil union.

Elton John will tie the knot with his longtime partner David Furnish on December 21. The ceremony will be a small private affair at Elton's country home near Windsor Castle.

©365Gay.com 2005

links

Archived