The Talon House

School Shuns Most Famous Alum Over Brokeback Role

School Shuns Most Famous Alum Over Brokeback Role

by Ed Welch, 365Gay.com Los Angeles Bureau

March 3, 2006 - 11:00 am ET

(San Diego California) Michelle Williams may be up for an Academy Award but her former school wants nothing to do with its most famous alumna.

Williams, 25, is nominated for best supporting actress for her role in "Brokeback Mountain" a role Solana Beach's Santa Fe Christian School says promotes "the homosexual lifestyle".

"We don't want to have anything to do with her in relation to that movie, the school's headmaster Jim Hopson told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Hopson is equally dismissive of her co-starring role in the TV series "Dawson's Creek". And, don't even mention the daughter she had with "Brokeback Mountain co-star Heath Ledger.

"I hope we offered her something in life. But she made the kinds of choices of which we wouldn't approve. 'Brokeback Mountain' basically promotes a lifestyle we don't promote. It's not the word of God," Hopson told the paper.

Williams' mother, a co-founder of the Christian Community Theater, doesn't share Hopson's opinion.

"He never knew her,” Williams told the Union-Tribune. “For some people, 'Brokeback Mountain' is difficult. He has the right to his opinion."

She said that several people from the school have called to congratulate her on her daughter's nomination.

"I know her heart, her kind soul,” Williams said. “Nothing she's done as an actress has bothered me.”

And on Sunday night she'll be watching the Oscar telecast as she baby-sits Michelle and Heath's daughter Matilda.

©365Gay.com 2006

links

Archived