The Talon House

Doggy-Mess Mystery Solved at Conn. Capitol

movieguy

Doggy-Mess Mystery Solved at Conn. Capitol

By Associated Press

August 13, 2004, 4:24 PM EDT

HARTFORD, Conn. -- A state Senate leader says he has the scoop on the poop in the state Capitol. Senate Republican leader Louis DeLuca told reporters Thursday that he had a surveillance videotape proving that Democratic state Sen. Edith Prague's dog left a surprise in the Public Safety Committee room last week.

Prague, who's from Columbia, Conn., initially denied that her dog, Molly the Shih Tzu, was the culprit, and she blamed a seeing eye dog belonging to a worker in DeLuca's office.

After seeing the tape, Prague was stunned.

"I said, 'Oh my God! It is my dog, and I won't bring her in anymore,'" said Prague, who had been asked before to stop bringing her dog into the Capitol.

Then she said DeLuca might have more important things to worry about.

DeLuca, of Woodbury, said he felt he had to make the tape public because Prague was blaming a blind person.

"It's a shameless thing to blame a sightless person with a seeing eye dog when you know it was your own," he said.

Capitol police watched the videotape, which shows Prague's dog making an unaccompanied visit to the committee room.

"Modern technology is wonderful," DeLuca said. "It shows the dog in the room that day -- not doing the deed, but in the room."

Capitol Police Chief Bill Morgan said his office handles such situations diplomatically.

"When we find there are people who violate the rules, we try to correct the problem," he said, without offering any details on the matter.

* __

Information from: The Hartford Courant, http://www.ctnow.com/

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

newsday.com