The Talon House

Woman found on fire in alley near Colfax

movieguy

Woman found on fire in alley near Colfax

By Abigail Chin

Denver Post Staff Writer

Saturday, November 20, 2004 -

A woman was found afire in an alley outside a Denver apartment building Friday night and was hospitalized with severe burns.

Neighbors saw the woman in the alley next to 1410 York St. about 8:30 p.m. after hearing what sounded like an explosion. They called 911.

"I heard a boom, and I looked out the window, and I saw a big ball of fire," Jim Bird said. When he came outside, he saw "this woman laying there naked, and her clothes were over there laying in a pile."

Bird said people batted at the woman with what looked like clothes or blankets to put the fire out.

The woman was taken to University Hospital.

"She was severely burned," Denver police Sgt. Mark Crowley said. "She was conscious. We didn't learn anything, but she was talking."

Police could not tell what started the woman on fire, but the arson investigation unit was at the scene, Crowley said.

Neighbors complained that the alley is a hot spot for crime.

"All night long you'll see 'em walk up and down the alley" doing crack or buying drugs, Bird said.

Crowley said the alley is just half a block south of Colfax Avenue "and it's a Friday night, so this is a pretty busy place," he said.

Staff writer Abigail Chin can be reached at 303-820-1201 or achin@denverpost.com .

denverpost.com