The Talon House

Around The Weird: Bizarre News Briefs (Thurs)

movieguy

Around The Weird: Bizarre News Briefs

NORWALK, Conn. (Wireless Flash) -- Liquor store owners should be feeling bubbly over this news: American wine consumption is at its highest peak in 15 years. The average boozehound now slurps down nearly three gallons per year. That's the most since 1989 when sales of wine coolers were at their peak. However, most of the new grape growth comes from imported wines, not domestic varieties.

BELGRADE -- Family ties may be strangling the dreams of one Serbian politician: His son has mounted a campaign against him with the slogan, "Do Not Vote For My Dad." Serbian Radical Party candidate Dragomir Antonic is under attack from his son Lazar because the 26-year-old doesn't believe in his dad's views. The younger man tells "Blic" newspaper, "My father and I will still have good relations whatever happens but I want him to understand that his party's radical policies are wrong."

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Are American teens becoming more cynical? A new survey shows more than ever, kids believe you need to bend the rules in order to succeed in life. One-third of teens polled by Junior Achievement/Deloitte & Touche think double dealing is necessary for success, up from 20 percent last year.

FLORENCE, Italy -- Michelangelo's David has been standing around Florence, Italy, for 500 years -- but he's been doing it with horrible posture. Pilates expert Alan Herdman, who brought the fitness technique to England more than 30 years ago, tells the AFP that David leans too much to his right hip, and that would have weakened that side of his body over time. Herdman says if David came to Pilates classes he could strengthen his hamstrings, his behind and his abs, balancing him out.

ncbuy.com