The Talon House

Around The Weird: Bizarre News Briefs (Thurs)

movieguy

Around The Weird: Bizarre News Briefs

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Wireless Flash) -- It's one thing to steal a base from a professional baseball player. But now some players are having other things stolen as well. Florida Marlins infielder Damion Easley had four rims stolen from his BMW truck and thieves stole four rims off fellow teammate Luis Castillo's BMW sedan at the Fort Lauderdale Airport Jet Center during the team's latest road trip, reports the "Palm Beach Post". It's the second time this season this has happened to Marlins' players. "These thieves aren't dumb, " Easley said. "They take advantage of opportunities like this. I just think we would learn after one incident."

MADISON, Wis. -- A fraternity member at the University of Wisconsin-Madison found a new way for college students to get by without asking for money from their parents -- fake parking tickets. Anthony R. Gallagher allegedly put fake parking tickets on cars and had duped owners send him their payments, earning the beer-chugging frat boy hundreds of dollars. According to Associated Press, prosecutors say Gallagher established a post office box to receive payments for the $40 tickets and then had the money placed in a separate bank account. Authorities plan to put him on trial for the fake ticket scam.

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. -- Charges against a man who was arrested for not tipping enough in a New York restaurant have been dropped after authorities have determined he couldn't be forced to pay the mandatory gratuity for a large group. Humbert Taveras was charged with misdemeanor theft of services when he refused to paid 10 percent, not the required 18 percent, because he said he was dissatisfied with the service. "Taveras says I'm glad someone came to their senses up there. Now I can tell my kids, 'Daddy's not a crook.'"

BERLIN -- German broadcaster Deutsche Welle has made their website readable in the "Star Trek" language Klingon in addition to 30 other languages. Klingon was added to celebrate the web sites' 10th anniversary. The director of Deutsche Welle said in a statement: "The dialogue of cultures does not end at the edge of our solar system."

LONDON -- The girlfriend of the man who scaled Buckingham Palace earlier this week dressed as Batman to win support for the group Fathers 4 Justice, dumped him right on his utility belt a month earlier according to British media. Newspapers report that Gemma Polson walked out on `Batman' Jason Hatch a month ago because his activist group had "taken over his life." Polson says, "He had told me he was going to give it all up - but then he goes and does this at Buckingham Palace."

ncbuy.com