The Talon House

Boy From Oz gives gay kiss a miss

TalonRider

Boy From Oz gives gay kiss a miss

Christine Sams

August 6, 2006

Source: The Age Newspaper

A GAY kiss has been given the kiss-off in the new Australian production of The Boy From Oz, with Hugh Jackman no longer required to lock lips with a male co-star.

When Hugh Jackman performed the role on Broadway, he kissed his male co-star as part of the celebrated New York performances.

But a kiss between Peter Allen (Jackman) and longtime love Greg Connell (played by Murray Bartlett) was noticeably absent on opening night in Sydney last week.

The show transfers to Melbourne this week.

Bartlett said he was not required to kiss Jackman during the Australian season, but added his scenes as Peter Allen's gay lover were still sending out an important message.

"We just wanted to keep it very simple and very pure," he said.

"It's reaching so many people and sending out a message of tolerance and that love is the most important thing, regardless of where you stand. We're very proud of that."

But gay commentators have criticised the scrapping of the kiss, saying the stadium show has been "Disney-fied" for mainstream audiences.

"If people are prepared to see a story about a great Australian and a great gay Australian, then really there shouldn't be a problem with two men kissing," NSW Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby spokesman David Scamell said. The Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby said the move was a backwards step.

"People are going to go and watch The Boy From Oz and they are going to definitely know about Peter Allen's life and I think a simple kiss, if that's offending Australians, there's something wrong with progressive Australia," said spokesman Gerard Brody.

"It's just strange; Peter Allen was an Australian icon and his sexuality was well known and I can't see how Australians could be offended by it, in any way.

"I hope they change their mind and let the true story be told."

Archived