The Talon House

Murphy the Dog Awaiting His Day in Court

movieguy

Murphy the Dog Awaiting His Day in Court

By Associated Press

June 16, 2005, 9:30 AM EDT

NEWTON, Mass. -- Murphy is awaiting his day in court. The question is whether court is ready for him.

Murphy is a 3-year-old golden retriever who received a summons last week to appear in Newton District Court to answer a complaint that he was walked without a leash -- at least twice -- and was not up to date on his dog license.

Actually, it wasn't Murphy but his owner, Steven Dean, who was supposed to get the summons.

"He can't read, so I signed it on his behalf, requesting a hearing," Dean told The MetroWest Daily News of Framingham. "I don't even know if they'll let him into the courthouse."

Newton police fined Murphy $25 for not having a leash, and $25 for not being licensed when Animal Control Officer John O'Connell stopped Murphy and his master June 3.

Court Magistrate Henry Shultz said in his 35 years at the Newton District Court, he has never heard of a dog receiving a ticket.

"I think Murphy's the first offender," he said Monday. "We've had people bring their dogs into the courthouse, but not like this."

"What are we going to do if Murphy appeals to a higher court?" he added.

Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

www.newsday.com

Archived