The Talon House

Man Robs Bank Hoping To Go To Federal Prison, But

movieguy

Man Robs Bank Hoping To Go To Federal Prison, But Gets State

POSTED: 5:35 pm EDT July 8, 2005

UPDATED: 5:51 pm EDT July 8, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A bizarre bank robbery has led to an even stranger criminal case in Orange County. It involves a former CIA operative, who did time in federal prison for espionage and then wanted to go back into federal prison because he wanted free medical care.

Frank Arnold Nesbitt, 60, is a two-time loser in a big way. He wanted to get back to federal prison for the free medical care, but now he's heading to state prison, which isn't quite as nice.

Nesbitt walked into the Wachovia Bank in downtown Orlando last December and handed the teller a note that read, "I regret having to do this. It is the only way that I know to return to prison."

Nesbitt asked for a few thousand dollars and wrote, "There is no need to include a dye bag. I intend to immediately give the money to who ever arrests me outside."

Nesbitt told the teller to notify security immediately after he had left and that he would wait outside to be arrested and left his driver's license and social security card with the teller.

"This is the strangest case I've ever had," said prosecutor Scott Pignone.

Nesbitt's plan, after researching the law, was to go back to federal prison for a short time for a simple theft charge, just long enough to get free medical care and get out. But this week, an Orange County judge sentenced him to 16 months in state prison.

"Judge says he was trying to steal," commented Pignone.

Nesbitt went to federal prison 15 years ago, because his plan to sell what he assumed to be out-dated unclassified material to the Russians for tens of thousands of dollars and then get hired by the United States government as a counter-spy also backfired.

Now, Orange County is punishing Nesbitt for trying to connive his way into free government medical care by sending him to state prison where Florida taxpayers will pay for his medical care, food and shelter for the next year or so.

Copyright 2005 by wftv.com. All rights reserved.

links

Archived