The Talon House

Oregon Anti-Gay Leader Accused Of Sex Abuse

movieguy

Oregon Anti-Gay Leader Accused Of Sex Abuse

by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: October 10, 2005 5:00 pm ET

(Portland, Oregon) The Portland leader of the Christian Coalition is facing sex abuse allegations after three female members of his family told police that he molested them.

Multnomah County District Attorney Michael Schrunk said officials are investigating the complaints against Lou Beres, the longtime chairman of the Coalition.

The three women - now adults - allege they were abused by Beres as preteens. Their families called the child abuse hot line last month, after the three openly discussed the alleged abuse for the first time.

"I was molested," one of the women, now in her 50s, told The Oregonian newspaper. "I was victimized and I've suffered all my life for it. I'm still afraid to be in the same room with him."

Only one of the three cases appears to fall under Oregon's statute of limitations on sex abuse, which expires after six years. Authorities said that case involves a young woman who was allegedly abused by Beres when she was in elementary school.

Beres, 70, denies the allegations. He blamed "personal and political enemies" for the complaint, but family members are supporting the women's claims.

Last year the Coalition took Multnomah County to court after it began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. (story)

Under Beres' leadership the Coalition then sought to force a recall vote for two Multnomah County commissioners who approved the issuing of marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The attempt later failed. (story)

Beres also was one of the main proponents of an amendment to the Oregon constitution to ban same-sex marriage.

This year the coalition led the attack on legislation that would have permitted civil unions. (story)

©365Gay.com 2005

with files from The Associated Press

links

Archived